What can you expect from your paving?
Listed Below Are A Few Basic Paving Tips For You To Consider
1. Your paving should remain level and not sag.
2. Paving should stay in place without shifting, which is why good edge restraints are essential.
3. Proper drainage is vital for your paving.
4. The surface should be smooth without uneven pavers.
5. Ensure weight is evenly distributed to prevent bricks from breaking.
6. Pavers should interlock with grouting between them for stability.
Consider these natural factors before paving:
1. The layers under the earth’s surface are subject to movement.
2. Materials in the topsoil decompose, leading to subbase weakness.
3. Minerals in the soil, sand, and stone can affect the durability of the top layer, such as bricks.
4. Moisture is present in the soil, impacting the foundation of your paving.
Key points to remember when paving:
1. To facilitate proper water drainage, maintain a 1:80 fall lengthwise. For example, for a 20-meter driveway, the fall should be 25mm.
2. Rigid paving is laid on a cement screed.
3. Flexible paving is laid on a bed of river sand.
4. Scarify to a depth of approximately 150mm following GMBA specifications and remove all plant matter.
5. Compact the base for durability and stability.
6. Avoid compacting layers thicker than 150mm.
7. Basic stabilization can be achieved by evenly spreading dry cement over the scarified area, incorporating it, sprinkling water, and compacting.
8. Do not use plastic under your paving as it negatively affects structural integrity and doesn’t prevent weed growth. Weeds grow from the top, not through the paving.
9. On steep slopes, use beams next to or under paving to secure pavers.
10. Avoid continuous joints in the direction of vehicular traffic.
11. Prevent water ingress at all costs by ensuring good drainage.
12. Hand pack pavers onto and off wheelbarrows rather than throwing them.
13. During installation, draw pavers from various pallets to avoid a patchy appearance.
14. Keep a few extra pavers in case you need to lift and repair the paving or install underground pipes.
15. Be aware that there may be color variations between batches of pavers.
These tips should help you achieve a successful and long-lasting paving project.